The Department of Medicine’s 19 postgraduate training programs offer a wide array of elective opportunities. If you are a resident or fellow interested in participating in an elective, please review the options and corresponding contacts below. For information regarding eligibility and application requirements, please visit the Postgraduate Medical Education Office’s elective site
The Department of Medicine does not organize electives for medical students. If you are a medical degree student looking to complete an elective, please visit Undergraduate Medical Education’s elective site.
The Division of Cardiology's Residency Training Program offers the following electives. Please email the appropriate contact to inquire about rotation details and availability.
|Cariology consults at Toronto General Hospital||Dr. Amar Uxa|
|Cardiology elective at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Dr. Jeffrey Pang|
|Cardiology service at Sinai Health System||Dr. Seam Balmain|
|Cardiology ward at Toronto Western Hospital||Dr. Melitta Mezody|
|Coronary Care Unit at St. Michael's Hospital||Dr. Neil Fam|
|Coronary Care Unit at Toronto General Hospital||Dr. Chris Overgaard|
The Division of Hematology Residency Training Program offers the following electives. Please email the appropriate contact to inquire about rotation details and availability.
|Hematology at the University Health Network||Glorianna Fam|
|Hematology at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Wanda Nelson|
|Hematology at St. Michael's Hospital||Shanti Rajigadus|
If you are a resident enrolled at another university, but would like to request a University of Toronto elective, please contact the appropriate program director for that subspecialty. PGY2-3 residents who are interested in General Internal Medicine (GIM) as a career choice, should refer any requests to GIM subspecialty program director (PGY4-5 program). The following rotation expections apply:
|GIM-CTU Junior Medicine||
Sinai Health System, Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre, St. Michael's Hospital,
Toronto General Hospital & Toronto Western Hospital
|Hospitalist Medicine||Sinai Health System, Toronto General Hospital & Toronto Western Hospital||Lorena Manganaan|
|Hospitalist Medicine||St. Michael's Hospital||Betty-Ann Lemieux|
|Hospitalist Medicine||Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Meera Chail|
|Emergency Medicine Consults||Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre||Dr. Graham Slaughter|
|Obstetrical Medicine||Sinai Health System||Vivien Jordan|
The Division of Medical Oncology Residency Training Program offers electives in:
- Community at North York General
- Community at St. Michael's Hosptial
- Hematology at Odette Cancer Centre
- Hematology at Princess Margaret Hospital
- Medical Oncology at Odette Cancer Centre
- Medical Oncology at Princess Margaret Hospital
Please contact program coordinator, Charlene Wainwright, to inquire about rotation details and availabilty.
The Division of Nephrology Residency Training Program offers electives in:
- General nephrology
- Glomerular nephritis
- Stones, hypertension and diabetes ambulatory
- Transplant ambulatory
Please contact program coordinator, Heather Johnston, to inquire about rotation details and availabilty.
The Division of Neurology Residency Training Program offers electives in:
- Behavioural neurology
- EMG/neuromuscular diseases
- Movement disorders
- Multiple sclerosis
- Neurology CTU
- Sleep neurology
- Stroke CTU
- Women's issues in neurology
Please contact program coordinator, Daniel Johnston, to inquire about rotation details and availability. All of the above are completed as one block electives and are subject to availability. Multiple Sclerosis, neuroophthalmology and women's issues in neurology require registration at multiple hospitals.
The Division of Occupational Medicine Residency Training Program offers a general occupational medicine elective at St. Michael's Hospital. This elective includes occupational dermatology, respirology, toxicology and hand-arm vibration syndrome clinics. Please contact program director, Dr. Aaron Thompson, to inquire about rotation details and availability.
PHYSICAL MEDICINE & REHABILITATION
The Division of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation Residency Training Program offers electives in:
- Acquired brain injury at University Health Network (UHN)-Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and Bridgepoint Healthcare
- Amputee rehab at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre (outpatient only), St. John’s Rehab and West Park Healthcare
- Chronic pain at UHN-Toronto Rehabilitation Institute
- Musculoskeletal inpt and outpt at UHN-Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and West Park Healthcare
- Spinal cord rehab at UHN-Toronto Rehabilitation Institute and Lyndhurst Centre
- Stroke rehab at UHN-Toronto Rehabilitation Institute, Bridgepoint Healthcare and Providence Healthcare
Please contact program coordinator, Tracia Young, to inquire about rotation details and availability.
The Division of Respirology Residency Training Program offers electives in:
- Community respirology
- General respirology at Sunnybrook Health Sciences Centre
- General respirology at St. Michael's Hospital
- General respirology at Toronto General Hospital
- General respirology at University Health Network
- General respirology at Women's College Hospital
- Hereditary hemorrhagic telangrectasia
- Interventional pulmonary medicine/thoracic surgery
- Lung transplant
- Pulmonary hypertension/ILD
- Pulmonary rehabilitation
- Sleep medicine
- Tuberculosis non-tuberculous mycrobaterial
Please contact program coordinator, Rhiannon Davies, to inquire about rotation details and availabilty.